Enjoy the fourth episode of Arattarangetram here. At the outset, apologies for the echo that you hear while viewing the video. We will definitely troubleshoot this in the next episode.
Special Guest: Sangeetha Shyam – Bharatanatyam and the Worldwide Web blogger
(Link to the blog: http://sangeethas.wordpress.com/)
00:18 – New member of Arattarangetram, Raj’s introduction
00:42 – Subha introduces the Special Guest for the episode, Sangeetha Shyam
07:53 – Discussion about “Bala” 1976 by Satyajit Ray, where Bala demonstrating the padam “Unnai Thoodu Anupinen” in Ragam Saveri
followed by discussion about “musicality and dance”
18:24 – An excerpt from the Mohamana Varnam from the same documentary, where Bala is shown performing to the “Bhoga Tyagesa” and discussion about the line Bhoga Tyagesa.
followed by discussion about Balasaraswati.
Acknowledgement : The video shown was uploaded by another blogger Minai, who maintains the blog “Cinema Nritya Gharana“.
31:12 – Raghu’s question to Sangeetha about her experience of learning under Padmashri. Chitra Visweswaran
followed by being a teacher from a student
42:14 – Video excerpt showing the Devadasis doing alarippu who were in the service of the Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III of Baroda in 1930.
Link to the full video: http://www.britishpathe.com/video/maharanee-of-baroda/query/maharanee from timestamp 07:10
More info about the video from Minai’s blog:
- Sundaram, B.M. Marabu Thantha Manikkangal (Tamil, Women Who Gave the Gift of Tradition). 2003
- Chaturvedi, Darshana. “City Got Bhartanatyam [sic] as Dowry.” The Times of India. 2009
- Gaekwad, Fatesinghrao. Sayajirao of Baroda: The Prince and the Man. 1989. Accessed at Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III: Books and Archives.
1:00:19 – Subha’s question to Sangeetha about judging a performance
Subha and Raj’s Segment
1:02:55 – Devil’s advocate topic “Ideal/Best diet for a dancer and should dancers watch their weight”
Topics touched upon:
- glycemic index
- thrifty gene hypothesis
- south indian diet
- fitness – resistance exercises
- ideal body type for dance
- criticisms towards dancers being overweight
- mental stress on dancers about watching weight
1:27:25 – Rapid Fire round to Sangeetha by Subha
Send us your comments and views